This scheme is funded by tax money based on the public budget passed by Saxon State Parliament.

Nigel Freeman
First move of the WCCD 2015
Frauenkirche Dresden, Church of Our Lady

World Chess Championship for Disabled 2015 - Dresden

Jürgen Kohlstädt: No matter they are blind or deaf or physyally disabled, they can play well

kohlstadtRound 2 of the World Chess Championship for Disabled is under way and we are having new guests in our press room to speak up about the course of the tournament and development of chess for disabled in general. Our new guest is Mr. Jürgen Kohlstädt.

UV: We are back at the 2nd World Chess Championship for the Disabled and I am now here with Jürgen Kohlstädt. He is the Chairman of the Arbiter Committee of the German Chess Federation. Welcome. It is obviously your responsibility to make sure that everything is going according to the rules. Are there any specific rules for chess for people with disabilities?

JK: Of course there are separate regulations. You have to consider the special needs of some of the players. For me it is the first time that I am involved in a tournament exclusivly dedicated to people with disabilites. In a standard tournament you will always find the odd blind or deaf person. But it is something totally different to only have disabled players. And it is quite impressive to see the different types and severities of disabilities which is quite difficult to imagine that this varity exists and what difficulties those people have to deal with.

UV: It starts off with having a blind person not being able to actually see the board – quite an impressive achievement.

JK: When I had a blind opponent for the first time I felt sorry for them until I realised that they can play just as good and subsequently I lost the game. This happens. But if you see it here, deaf, blind, severely physically disabled – you just don’t see this variety and extreme density anywhere else.

UV: Are there any differences for you personally? Would you be judging differently than when dealing with able bodied players?

JK: There is a tendency to be a little more lenient as an Arbiter compared to able bodied players. You have certain points where you can’t have everything but we are very happy to make those tiny adjustments.

UV: What is your view towards this event and the separation of disabled from able bodied players?

JK: I fully support this. Though I am truly impressed with the extraordinary effort that is going into the organisation. You only realise this once you are here.

UV: Of course, it already starts with a difficult journey for some of the players to actually get here. And it does show how much passion and energy they have for the game to make this happen.

JK: Not only that but also the support team here as well. The ratio of players to helpers is almost 1 to 1 with just over 60 players and just as many volunteers and supporters here to help. I am very impressed with that.

UV: Thank you very much for your time and enjoy the rest of your time here at the tournament.