This scheme is funded by tax money based on the public budget passed by Saxon State Parliament.

Nigel Freeman
Flag bearers
Holger Mende

World Chess Championship for Disabled 2015 - Dresden

Nigel Freeman: This championship is a great platform for the promotion of Chess for the Disabled

Nigel FreemanNigel Freeman, the FIDE Executive Director, was one of those FIDE men who gave his support a few years ago to have the championship for physically disabled people included into the FIDE Calendar. He attended the opening ceremony of the 2nd World Chess Championship for Disabled 2015 in Dresden and greeted all the participants and guests on behalf of the World Chess Federation. After the opening, we got the chance to ask him a few more questions.

KG: First of all, what is your opinion about this championship being organised already for the second time?

NF: Well, it is very well organised. It is keen to promote chess for the disabled. And having this championship obviously helps to do that.

KG: Do you think that chess players participating here see this as really serious competition or just a chess festival?

NF: At all these things when they first start some of the players are stronger and some that aren’t so strong. Hopefully as it grows it becomes more serious and you will have more players participating. The ultimate goal of course is to have as many disabled players participating in the mainstream FIDE events, not only in this championship.

KG: So how do you feel about this idea to separate the disabled chess players from the rest?

NF: I think this is just the case because FIDE has only really started to get involved in disabled chess recently and I think to begin with it is really good to just concentrate on this. As I mentioned before in the longterm we will of course be looking to included the players in normal tournaments as it is not unusal for disabled players to participate there. But that will take time. At least this gives the people some form of advantage. It is the same as if you would ask me why there are separate womens chess tournaments. In the future we shouldn’t have separate tournaments but at the moment to encourage people we have this separation.

KG:How do you find the organisation of this tournament?

NF: Dr Jordan is known for organising these events and does them very professionally and well. I wish them well for the rest of this tournament and all future ventures they will be undertaking.